Monday 12 May 2014

I did it!

Yesterday I joined 11,000 runners to take on the Bristol 10k. The weather started off miserable - it was rainy and windy, but that didn't dampen our spirits. It is the first time I have ever taken part in anything like this, and I was so excited to see what the months of training would come to. I approached the race with two aims: to keep running (even though I had been advised by a doctor not to run at all  - oops!) and to finish in under an hour...

We finally set off, and I managed to to fulfil one of my two aims:
I kept running throughout, but took slightly longer than I would have liked. Nevertheless, I am proud of all the work I put in leading up to and during the race. I spent some time searching the '#Bristol10k' tag on Instagram, and was particularly inspired by someone who had managed to shave a whole 12 minutes off their time from last year. I have already begun looking for my next challenge, and would love to be able to see such significant improvement. 

While training and running has been a brilliant experience for me, at the heart of all of this is the poor, the oppressed and the needy worldwide. The money raised through Love Running will help fund sustainability projects, the effects of which will be felt for many generations to come. It will help provide an education for Syrian refugees who are at risk of becoming a 'lost generation', and it will support a range of causes - from work with the homeless, to work with  ex-offenders here in Bristol. 

The aim of Love Running is to put love into action in practical ways, and although running 10k may not be for everyone, so many people have taken action by giving to the cause, and I want to say a massive THANK YOU for that. It means so much to me that you cared enough to get behind what I'm doing, and it will mean even more to the people benefiting from the projects your money will support. 

I would like to encourage you to find a charity project you can support, whether it's by doing a sponsored event, volunteering for a few hours a week, or donating what you can. Keep showing love in practical ways. Keep love running. 

Have  a great week!


My fundraising page will remain open for a while so you can continue giving if you would like to. No amount is too small! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my posts and comment on them!
Every single comment is much appreciated! ♥

Please remember to leave your blog address so I can pop round and have a look at your blog! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...